Thursday, February 4, 2010

100 stitches - fish bone stitch


100 Stitches time again! I have just learned how to do the fish bone stitch! I am really excited about this beautiful stitch. According to the 100 stitches description, this is an excellent stitch for filling small shapes. So to practice the stitch, I drew a leaf shape with a center line marked...


I am using six strands of this beautiful green - dmc color 907. I will refrain from saying "i love this color!" since I say that in nearly every 100 stitches post!
The first step is to come up through the fabric and go back down through your fabric making a small straight stitch. Come up again next to the straight stitch and make a slanting stitch that slopes across the center line and goes back through the fabric at the base of the first straight stitch.


Now come up through the fabric on the opposite side of the first straight stitch, make a slanted stitch again sloping to the center line and overlap the base of the second stitch.

Just continue working opposite sides of the shape, always slanting your stitch to the center line and always overlapping the base of the stitch before.
This was a very easy stitch!
This stitch is #11 and is in the flat stitches category of 100 stitches.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Your stitches are amazing!! I am practicing the satin stitch and let's just say that I need alot more practice at it! From your blog and your patterns I have learned (and feel confident!) with the back, stem, lazy daisy and french knots! You are a great teacher!
Libby

Kim said...

Thank you so much! It looks like you have become an expert on these - especially the lazy daisy! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Mahalakshmi said...

This one is one of my favorites.I have used it for leaves.Great filling stitch.Isn't it?