Monday, April 29, 2013

Organization - Sewing Journal

I have really enjoyed using my embroidery journal and being organized. So much so, that I decided to also make a sewing journal! I enjoy sewing and I am beginning to do a lot more of it.


For my sewing journal, I created pages to record all the information needed when planning a sewing project.  There are 11 pages for recording this stuff as well as a cover sheet and two pages of binder spine inserts.  Some of my favorite pages are the pages for recording all the measurements you need for a perfect fit - there is a page for recording female and a page for male pattern measurements:


There are pages for information about the specific pattern you are using for your project, whether you are sewing for yourself or someone else, there is a lot of information you need to know, record and remember:


I also have pages for keeping track of all the patterns you have.  I have several boxes of sewing patterns and I am going to love going through them and recording all the pattern names, numbers and details:


It is also nice to have a record of all the sewing related equipment you have.  The brand name, manufacturer, model and serial number of your sewing machine, serger and iron.  I also record my warranty information and repair record information.  These are nice to have all in one spot!


One of my favorite parts of the sewing journal is the fabric page.  I have a nice sized fabric stash and I am having a lot of fun taking a swatch from each piece of fabric, noting the selvedge information if I still have it and then cutting a swatch of the fabric with my pinking shears:


I take the swatch and attach it to the fabric page.  Then I record all the fabric information as well as where and when I purchased the fabric, how much I have, the width, fiber content and care instructions etc.


Then put it into the binder.  The great thing about the fabric page is that I can print it as many times as I need.  I can include all my fabric swatches and put the page in a sheet protector to protect the swatches.  So organized!


I made the sewing journal available in five colors - blue, green, black, lavender and pink. 



I have added the Sewing Journal to my Etsy shop!




No comments: